Now Enrolling at Lapham & Marquette for the 2022-23 School Year
School-age children spend 80 percent of their waking hours outside of school, while 1 in 5 young people in the U.S. are alone after the school day ends. High-quality afterschool programs promote positive youth development and offer a safe space where children can explore their potential. Effective after school programs provide learning settings that bring a wide range of benefits to children, families, and communities. After school programs can support social, emotional, cognitive, and academic development, promote physical health, and provide a safe and supportive environment for children.
- Attending high-quality after school programs and regular participation can lead to improved social and emotional competencies, including prosocial behavior, intrinsic motivation, better concentration efforts, and higher sense of self-worth.
- Attending after school programs can improve students’ academic performance.
- Attending after school programs leads to improvement in class participation, better adjustment as young people move to the next phase of schooling, and increased school day attendance and participation.
- Participating in after school programs leads to increased adult supervision which makes children feel safer and reduces instances of being left unsupervised with peers out of school. It also means that younger children are supervised by older siblings less often. Adult supervision that is based on developmental relationships promotes positive youth development as it not only promotes personal safety, but also creates an environment where young people learn better and are able to thrive.
- Working families and businesses also benefit from after school programs that ensure that children have a safe place to go while parents or guardians are at work.
- After school programs can also improve young people’s dietary snack consumption and healthy physical activity levels.
For us to provide a high quality After School Program, we maintain a ratio of 1 teacher to 10-12 children, a nourishing snack, and a variety of cooperative play and learning opportunities for your child. Our program is child centered. It allows time for quiet play and reading, active and outdoor play, field trips, and both small and large group and individual activities. Activities are also offered in the areas of arts and crafts, construction, small manipulative toys, games, dramatic play, science, computer, and cooking.
NOTE: The After School Program at Lapham is licensed to serve children ages 5 and older. Families interested in 4K who are in need of extended hours are encouraged to enroll in our Red Caboose 4K program at 654 Williamson Street.
School Age Program Site Supervisors
Red Caboose After School at Lapham
Red Caboose After School at Marquette